· Labor are the workers, manangement are the people who
decide what that work will be.
· Tenure means you have property rights to that job.
You can’t be fired without going through a legal process to remove that person from the job. Tenure usually comes with
· At will means you don’t have property reghts
to your job. Your only there at the pleasure of the management. You can be let go at anytime.
Union Shop/Open Shop/Closed Shop
· Union shop means if you are hired in, you will join
· Open shop means you have a choice of whether you want
to join the union or not.
· Closed shop means that the only people you hire are
union people. You have to join the union first in order to get hired.
· Unions bargain for working conditions
· Withholding your labor is a strike. There are different
types of strikes: blackboard flu, walk out, slow dow, sit down. Sit down strikes are illegal because you are holding property
without due process.
· An injunction is an order by court to stop something.
The management can call an injunction to counteract the strike.
· Seasonal means the time of year dictates when you work.
· Frictional means you’re between jobs. You may
or may not be looking.
· Structural mean the technology has changed and you
are no longer skilled for the job. Ex: computers
· Cyclical means the business itself has a cycle, there is always ups
and downs within the business that will determine when you work.